Monday, March 17, 2008

I have been travelling on the MRT alot lately. If u know me, you will know that i don't travel using the train often. from my place, getting to where ever is easy with bus! AND its cheaper too!! Many weird things can happen in the train. From people rushing to get a seat, to people squeezing in to get a space in the train. And the extrem? People getting squshed at the door and there is ALOT of space in the center of the cabin. Anyway, i guess, with these sentence, u will kinda guess what issue i will be addressing.

I would like to review on this one trip from Redhill station to Pasir Ris station. I sat at a corner seat and i just did what Chermaine does best- sleep. It was the during peak hour and when the train reach City Hall and Raffles Place, there was the rush of working adults into the cabins and yes, i woke up. Anyway, I looked around to find that people are very uncomfortable when they are all "sardine" up. I was glad that I got a space for myself and well, continued to look around for interesting things to think about since my journey is so so long.

At that point of time, something caught my eye. The little poster below the map in train cabins.
What I found really interesting is that this poster looks really funny. Think about it this way, this picture shows an elderly and a pregnant lady and with a young kid and people giving up their seats for them. They are the people "who needs it more than I do". Anyway, I think that many Singaporeans have the misconception that people who needs the seat more then they do is when they are either old or pregnant and with a young kid. i found this very interesting to think about.
I was still thinking about how Singaporeans might have misunderstood the poster when a pregnant lady and her husband stepped into the cabin. At that point in time, i was really really excited to see what is going to happen. I know I have to give up my seat to her but have remain seated. Now, did the poster serve as a reminder to people to give up their seats or are they just a "decorative" item on the train walls?

Let me just further elaborate the situation. All seats at that cabin were taken. Now, directly opposite me sat an elderly couple, beside me and a couple more seats away from me sat some teenagers whom i presume were younger than i am. I pretended to "study" Social psych. ha!
I waited for one stop before i gave my seat up to her. I am very sure that the teenagers did see her coming into the train. Now, what made them not give up their seat?! Do they in the first place have to give up their seat? (well, the poster said so!) Anyway, when i gave up my seat to her, i got stared at. Was what i did something wrong? did i just cross over that thin line of being socially accepted and being what i was told to do? well, this is something to think about! =)
On my way home, something terrible happened! i thought that the situation in the morning was bad enough! A pregnant lady not having a seat?! Well, it just gets worst! I was to alight at Tiong Bahru station. The train was pretty pack when i saw at the end of the cabin that i m in was an elderly couple standing there (as shown in the picture below). Now,what is going on?! People not wanting to give up their seats? OR are they are just waiting for someone to give up their seats for them? I've concluded (pretty much) that whatever "ungracious" act of Singaporeans in the train can be theorized with THE BYSTANDER EFFECT!
We all know what the bystander effect is- That the higher the number of people, the lesser it is for something to happen. Hence, in this case, the higher the number of people in the cabin, the less likely will people who need seats get a seat! Adding on to this, when there is more people, the less chance it is for one to feel te need and responsibility to react or act in situations.
Anyway, I was pretty annoyed with what i saw. I realised after that infront of me stood an elderly lady. She is pretty fit tho. =) I got off my seat at Outram station. Just decided that i should give her my seat. But what is shocking is when i stood up to offer that elderly lady my seat, a mother of 2, ask her daughter to quickly take "my" seat because it is dangerous for her to play her DS lite while standing. This was just too much for me to handle. i was so close to asking that little girl to give up the seat for the elderly lady. Thank God that elderly lady stopped me. =S
Chermaine. =)

1 comment:

monkey-xian said...

Many people just love watching. Everyone that look believe that 'someone' will for sure help or give up a seat. Some even look away. But sometimes, when we choose to give up a seat for another person who need it, they might say 'no need'. At this time, we might fell that why in the first place we give e seats up. Some even worst, the moment you stand up, another person like kiasu, run towards the seat.

This effect is quite serious especially in Singapore as everyone is busy and no one take the chance to stop and help.

all we can do is do our parts when we can.